Read this, find a rebuttal, read that, and then make your own decision:
Politics aside, The Dove Lady avoids bottled water at all costs for several reasons* and buys it ONLY in the most extreme emergencies, and avoids such emergencies by preplanning on really hot days. She LOVES her Tupperware tumblers!!–packs one full of ice, fills in the spaces between cubes with water, and by the time she’s finished with her last gig of the day, there might not be any ice, but there is coolish water, right there in her cup holder.
* Reasons not to buy bottled water:
1. IT COSTS WAY MORE MONEY THAN FREE!
2. It’s possible there are poisons that leach out of the plastic into the water, especially when stored improperly (who knows how long it sat last July in that hot warehouse?).
3. Likely, it took a lot of petroleum to ship your bottled water to you (read this article to see how far your preferred bottle traveled).
4. Not everybody is disciplined enough to recycle.
5. If you don’t buy disposable plastic containers, you won’t have to worry about getting them into a recycling bin or contributing to the land fill or seeing them blowing about the roadways.
6. It takes aLOT of energy to recycle plastic!!
7. If you reuse your disposable water bottle, people who test these things say "stuff" starts growing in them. Reusable Tupperware tumblers go in the dishwasher!
Oh, no. You got The Dove Lady started.
8. Recyclers justify recycling plastic to make bazillions of flimsy plastic grocery bags that end up EVERY(bleeping!)WHERE! You HAVE to read this article from the S.F. Chronicle regarding The Garbage Patch–a floating mass of plastic in the Pacific twice the size of Texas and growing!!
9. We MUST boycott those flimsy plastic grocery bags!! Wal-Mart has the right idea (even though there are reasons why we should avoid those megastores–we should NOT encourage China!!) with experimenting with discontinuing the use of those vile little bags. Yes, it’s hard to train yourself to employ reusable bags, but it’s easy once you make a habit of it. And it’s important.
The Dove Lady has to go lay down now. She’s oysgeshpilt. And no, she doesn’t sell Tupperware.